On the Net
Open Firmware Companies/Vendor support
What is Open Firmware?
Hardware Independant Boot Code - - An Open Firmware description at an introductory level by Matthew Johnson Open Firmware homepage The OpenFirmware IEEE 1275-1994 Apple's Open Firmware Home Page - Besides Apple's Open Firmware Technotes, this page has a link to a list of PCI cards supporting Open Firmware Writing FCode 3.x Programs OpenBoot 3.x Command Reference Manual OpenBoot 3.x Quick Reference
Forth FAQ kForth - programming examples DPANS'94 - very interesting: annex D and E. Gforth - Forth implementation of the GNU project PFE - The Portable Forth Environment is based on the ANSI Standard for Forth. It is targeted for embedded environments. vnpforth - contains a traditional compiler, which turns Forth into standard object (.o) files Moving Forth - Article on writing Forth Kernels by Brad Rodriguez Writing FCode 3.0 Programs Hayes ANS compliance test - a test for ANS Forth compliance by John Hayes. The OpenBIOS forth kernel passes this test. gfob - a forth source obfuscator Primer - A Beginner's Guide to Forth by J.V. Noble Forth engines - written in several languages. Thoughtful Programming and Forth - an essay by Jeff Fox. Selected Forth Papers - at theforthsource.com Stack Machines Stack Computers: the new wave - Philip J. Koopman Jr's book on stack computers offered as pdf and html.
Multiboot standard GRUB - GRand Unified Bootloader Nilo - Network Interface Loader. NILO will boot Linux, FreeBSD, Windows 95/98/NT4 and support the Intel PXE standard. Flashing on Linux Systems MTD - Memory Technology Device Subsystem for Linux /dev/bios - Flash ROM driver for Linux (for flashing System and PCI adapter firmware
Other Open Source Firmware Implementations
- LinuxBIOS - The LinuxBIOS project bootstraps systems to the point where they can run an OS kernel from flash or over Ethernet using Etherboot.
- FreeBIOS - The FreeBIOS sourceforge project hosts all of the LinuxBIOS source code in CVS.
- TIARA - TIARA, an Openbios/GRUB/PFORTH composite, BIOS replacement (dead?)
- GBIOS - GBIOS is a GPLed firmware for PowerPC G3/G4 and some Motorola cpus.
- Proll - Proll is a firmware replacement for SUN JavaStations to boot Linux
Virtual Machines and Emulation
- Bochs - portable open source IA-32 (x86) PC emulator
- DOSemu - DOS Emulation for Linux
- Plex86 - extensible open source PC virtualization software